" danger hat: What are you doing here (DHS)?

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What are you doing here (DHS)?

"I'm, I'm...," I fumble the words worse than I normally do. "I didn't know you went to this school."
Akwete is standing in the doorway, his necktie in his hands. The rest of his suit is pristine, the finest Italian tailoring. His blue black skin beautifully absorbs the fluorescent light. I always forget his royal heritage when we're at the DHS room and his face is smeared with Cheeto grease and he cheats at backgammon, but the way he cocks his head with princely consternation at my pretzeled position reminds me who he is. Or was, rather.
Ornella snatched him away as his family was being ousted by warlords. Technically he's the deposed king of an African nation that's name has changed fifteen times since she tucked him under her arm and flew home to Italy. He's her heir, like I am Henry's. But since I am not exactly performing DHS duties at the moment, I demure, "Doc Costa's an old friend of mine. I'm just playing a trick."
"Really?"
"Sure. Will you please turn out the lights. You'll spoil the surprise."
"Can I join in? He's my advisor."
"No. Go back and dance. Have fun."
"I'd rather stay here." He says, crossing his arms stubbornly.
"Don't you have a pretty girl somewhere waiting?" I say.
"I don't like these chitty girls. They smell like powdered makeup and cheese fries."
I laugh, snort actually, then frown and tell a half truth, using the a Society tone of voice.
"I'm here for Henry."
"Fine. But I'm bored and now it's all your fault."
"I'll buy you an a sno-cone tomorrow. Three flavors."
"I'm not a child anymore," he says. And then, "Four and it's a deal."
I nod in agreement and he slips out the door. I stand up, brush the carpet fibers from my dress, and steal a few M&Ms from the bowl on the desk.
The Jando boys are already out in the parking lot. One of them has Tammy pinned like a butterfly to the trunk of the limo. I want to turn around and play hide n'seek with Akwete, but the memory of Henry's copper eyes and slack jaw propels me forward.
"Where've you been?" JJ asks me.
"Taking care of business."
"I wanted to dance with you," he says/
I laugh again. Snort, actually. Then I look up into his muddy blue eyes which are radiating with a frightening sincerity.
"My apologies," I say.
"I like girls you know. But I have a funny sense of humor sometimes," he says giggling. And then his fist connects with my gut. I lose consciousness for the first time in a week. When I come to we are sitting in the Jando's circular drive. JJ is still laughing. Henry is sitting next to me, pennies still taped over his eyes, his mouth still full of sweatsock.
"Dad says good job," JJ says through a wicked smirk. " He'd talk to you himself, but it's past his bedtime." Then he leans in and wetly kisses me with a warm, sour milk mouth. "See you next year, eh?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home