" danger hat: Some Stuff

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some Stuff

So I had my first real derby scrimmage with the team tonight. I love love love it, but well I'm less than good. It's hard for me because my strongest athletic feats have always been races which are pretty much balls out without a lot of thinking. Derby brings the brain into it, and suddenly I need to be timing hits, helping my jammer (read; scorer) through the pack while keeping an eye out for the other team's jammer all while taking abuse from the girl next to me. It's hard as fuck. I actually think I'm going to end up being pretty good because I can definitely take a hit (less solid on the making hits), I'm able to pick up speed and get in front of jammers, and in general I feel like I'm already a lot more calculating than some of the other players. In some ways that slowed me down tonight, but I'm going to keep my brain in it until those kind of decisions are ingrained. I got to jam, which honestly I love because you have so much more control over what's going on, but I'm still too slow. My speed is picking up again, but the new team is faster than ARRG (at least when I left) so I still have a way to go. Basically I want to be good at every position, which means I have to get a lot a lot a lot better than I am now.
Also I officially nabbed the library position. I start Tuesday. But that's less exciting than derby.

3 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger sarahkate said...

Your new coach "The Tank" sent your old coach "Papa Wheelie" an email thanking him for sending such a great player. Ken forwarded it to me so I could wallow in self pity at the loss of our only April. You should be proud of your skills, Ken is. We are faster now than when you left, and we are leaner and meaner too. Well, our meaness hasn't increased taht much. Anyway, congrats on the library job, we all knew you'd land it. Hello, um... fate?

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

Librarian April..Yay!

Degolar and a group of his associates are youth librarians in greater KC. He's got a blog at http://through-the-prism.blogspot.com

Congratulations! On both the job and the derby.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Ted Carter said...

Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home