" danger hat: 5x5

Friday, March 31, 2006

5x5



Growing up, 25 was the magic age. It seemed like at 25 people were really grown up, and since I was the sort of child who was born with full-fledged adult neurosis, I always wagered that by 25 I would grow into my skin fully. It was the age I expected my career (directorial career, just in case you were wondering) to start to take off as well as the age after which I was allowed to get married because I would have lived enough to know what I wanted (jumped the gun, obviously.)
Of course, the reality is I am still uncomfortable in my skin and I am currently unemployed with not even a vague premonition for the future. I was still kind of holding out hope that a little fairy would descend on me at 4:30 this morning and bestow knowledge and maturity and grace, but as I woke up feeling the same, looking the same, and dancing the same, I assume I'm on my own. A few weeks ago I decided that 25 was going to be my year of adventure. I was going to list things that I'd always wanted to do but was always afraid to try. But that was in an upswing of confidence, and I have since refolded myself into the tiny box where I feel safe but angsty, knowledgable but useless.
Instead of the year of adventure, I think this is going to end up being my year of figuring things out. I don't expect to have the whole of my life gridded out, but I am going to try to make solid steps in a certain direction. Because of the move, I am working with a fairly clean slate, and I believe it is essential for me to take advantage of it before I get lost under the pile of day to day worries once more.
I am happy to find that at 25, I have begun to love living even though it is messy. I am happy to find that, even though love and marriage are concepts I still struggle with, in reality I am so happy that I get to be in love and with my love every day. I am happy to find that, while my brain may not be fully university trained, it still bends and flexes (despite my efforts to squish it with internet surfing and television). I am also happy to find, that underneath my bitter exterior there remains the kernel of a generous spirit.
Which is really too too serious of a discussion for a birthday; who wants to make a margarita in my mouth?

3 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger The Girl in Black said...

(musical tune)
Happy birthday to you,
Don't worry about that yet to do,
Happy birthday, dear April,
There's still so much more to view!

Sorry, goofiness is the only levity I can send over the internets.

Enjoy the anniversary of your birth. And I hope the next year brings you lots of insight, inspiration, and security.

But ya know what?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
If it doesn't? You'll have another year after that.

Or you can adopt my current philosphy of remaining the same age for multiple years. Then you can take as long as you like!

Don't fret!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Ted Carter said...

It's just days on a calendar. Not nearly as important as having faith in yourself to be able to accomplish great things.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger sarahkate said...

blah blah blah. (imagine I said something inspirational and insightful) happy birthday, sorry I forgot the booze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home