" danger hat: $5

Monday, January 23, 2006

$5

Okay, so I was thinking that me as a rollergirl was not going to last. The social pressure seemed too overwhelming, and I was starting to get all ADD with the repetitive nature of our "practices". But lollywhoppingoodygoodness if I am in it for life after last night's practice! There was group stretching, there were time trials, there was falling practice (I think I'm a natural)... It brought all these nostalgic adolescent feelings back to the fore, you know, the one's I had submerged with beer and cookies and DVD marathons. I spent most of my formative years as an athlete (mostly in the pool) and I don't quite know why I lost touch with the drive to be active. But it's back, and better than ever because roller skates are involved. Like swimming, skating has always given me a sense of otherworldliness, a chance to find new power and movement and as a result, be a little less human. But more than that, more than anything, I just had so much friggin fun last night, and I am salivating at the chance to do it again! All the organization, all the fishnets, all the whiskey meetings distracted me from why I originally joined derby in the first place--to learn how to kick ass on wheels. I've re-assumed this as my "prime directive," and I'm going all the way, baby!

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Ted Carter said...

The wife and I were flipping channels last night, and we came across a documentary on RollerDerby that we stopped and watched briefly in honor of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home