" danger hat: "Can I have $5"

Monday, January 16, 2006

"Can I have $5"

April: Do you want to come skate with me?
Ryan: How much does it cost?
April: Like five dollars, It's totally cheap.
(beat)
April: Can I have five dollars?

This is a classic exchange between my husband and I regarding roller derby, which brings us to derby portion of the new Danger Hat week. On the plate today: "The Way Out Show on Friday" or "What the hell am I going to wear?"

My closet doesn't exactly scream "rollergirl," what with its many varieties of blue dress shirts, as well its collection of coffee stained skirts. I'm trying to figure out how to achieve a kitschy/punk look without looking like I got smacked by the wrong side of Hot Topic. It's proving more difficult than I originally thought. I have two short (yikes) skirts one black/glittery and the other red/scrolly (I think this one might actually be a top, but since it fits around my hips it's a skirt goddammit) and have purchased blue and black fishnets. I'm planning to throw all this and my Arch Rival tee shirt together somehow, but I'm sure I'll be cranky come Friday evening, and resort to gobs of red lipstick. I really just need to learn how to sew, so I don't have to count on stores to have the stuff I want at the last minute.
I'm also seriously considering dyeing all or part of my hair blue because I've always wanted to. Also I think I'm secretly trying to get fired. We'll see how that pans out. I'm mostly talk talk talk in the area of radical modification, though I'm still tickling the idea of a tattoo for my twenty-fifth. I'm also considering owning some cats (much to my Dr. Doolittle of a husband's glee). I realize that I am perhaps having a midlife crisis of sorts.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger John said...

if you have your mid-life crisis at 25, does that mean you'll die at 50? :S

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger sarahkate said...

Just do what I do when I can't decide which pieces of clothing to wear: put them all on and say it is a "mid-nineties harajuku punk kogal thing." People will marvel at your genius, but will be intimidated enough by your possible mental instability that they don't stand too close, lest it is contagious.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Ted Carter said...

Or you dress like you're going to work and say you're going for the serial killer look. After all, they always say that serial killers look just like everyone else...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home